Friday, June 17, 2011

summer 2011

I'm supposed to be exercising but I sat down at the computer this morning to just check my email and now I'm sitting on my very sore butt blogging instead. I think it's a valid waste of time so I'm going to continue to sit for a little while then I'll get up and get that workout done.

The kids are not out for the summer. HOORAY! I love the kids at home with me. It's the transition that kills me, or more the anxiety leading up to the transition of kids at home instead of at school. I do this each time school ends and then again as school resumes. It's a weird thing I do but I've come to expect it and that helps in easy the stressful moments. I guess mostly because I also recognize that I adjust each time and everything is fine.

So, the last day was Monday, which if you ask me is ridiciulous but it's not the first ridiculous thing I've seen the public school system do, nor is it the most ridiculous thing they've done. It was a half day. I picked the kids up and covered them in silly string. I stole this idea from my cousin. Their neighborhood meets the school bus on the last day and goes to town covering the kids with silly string and celebrating. I've obviously simplified the process. Mostly because well, I don't know a lot of people around here that would jump at having so much fun.

Nic and Isaak had report cards with them and they did well. Isaak has made great progress. I don't expect A's I just expect progress. Nic got A's in most of his subjects and B's for effort. I'm not really going to say much about this, except that I recognize I have lazy kids and I'm working on it but I'm not the only one failing them. I won't take this completely on my shoulders. Clayton and Anthony have not received their report cards in the mail yet but we looked them up online and it looks like they'll both be moving on to the next grade. I'm thinking that's really great! Enough about that, let me tell you what we've been up to so far.

Monday we celebrated with pizza and playing. On Tuesday we played hard outside and even ended the day with a rousing game of soccer. I'm a little tough when I play and a few kids got hurt. Wusses. We've twice stopped to get ice cream cones and we even spent some time at Discovery World. We've been waiting for warm enough weather to spend the day at the lake but as of yet we've not had any. Please don't think I'm complaining I actually really love the temps we're getting right now. It's warm enough to be outside but not so hot we're miserable and have to be inside all day. Today we're picking up Kjel's father's day gift and hitting the library. I think we'll spend most of the day outside playing. I should clean the house but the kids really need me outside with them.

Yesterday, Anthony and I watched a wonderful movie. Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story. I'd suggest it to anyone. We both loved the movie. It left me thinking I need to pull the cords on more of our electronics. I think we waste too much time on computers and television. There's a goal for this summer.

There's a lot floating through my mind but right now there isn't a lot of time to spend thinking or answering those thoughts. I'll have to put me on hiatus until summer ends.