Sunday, June 26, 2011

sunday smiles 5/19 & 5/26

Friday night the boys and I sleep outside, on the trampoline, under the stars. I smiled because I love sleeping outside. I wish I could say the boys had as wonderful an evening as I, but it seems they would have preferred sleeping in their beds.


I smiled as I woke throughout the night and saw the moon and stars and clouds and the world. I loved the silent moments and the moments of sound created by the little creatures in our yard.

Saturday morning when we woke up everything was covered in dew. I didn't realize that the humidity would leave its trace all over us while we were sleeping. The kids were frustrated but I just snuggled deeper into my sleeping bag and slept a little longer. They all trudged inside and I'm sure commenced bothering their father. When I finally decided to start the day I smiled when I saw that the dew had a few redeeming qualities, as far as the boys were concerned. Without my back door wouldn't be nearly as decorative.


Kjel's mom sent me a serger. A serger! Can you believe it? The day it arrived I was all smiles but I didn't burst into the box right away because I wanted to spread the joy out over a couple days. When I finally opened the box I did it with a bit of hesitation. Have you ever tried to thread one of these machines? There are four spools of thread and each has an intricate series of locations it must be placed. I was doomed to fail. But, I didn't. I conquered my serger and even used it to make summer pj shorts for the boys.

I smiled when I picked up all this yummy produce from a co-op. I've been looking for a co-op nearby and just recently found one. I can't wait to order next month.

This is Clayton's handwriting. I smiled when I saw it because I can read what is written. Just a year ago I couldn't make out a single chicken scratch he wrote but he's put forth some effort and look at how nice his writing has become.

Kjel got a tool for Father's Day. I smiled because HE smiled. You can never really tell how Kjel feels. I wear most of my emotions on my sleeve, well, at least my happy emotions. There is no way for me to hide when I'm happy. I just bounce around and smile. Kjel, however, calmly says, 'that's nice,' or 'thanks, very thoughtful,' or 'oh.' Make sure that as you read these statements you put the right voice with them. It's very calm and almost indifferent.
Funny story-- Kjel and I lived in a basement apartment in Taylorsville, UT for a little while. The couple we rented from lived upstairs. While living there we got to know them very well and spent a lot of time with them. It was wonderful!
When Kjel's birthday was getting close Greg approached me and asked me if Kjel would like a new computer for his birthday. Greg was a computer guru and built his own and others. He spent a lot of his time around computers and nearly died when he found out Kjel and I were still DOSing it --technical term used when you're still use DOS. I pitched in some cash and Greg pitched in some cash and time and we surprised Kjel with a new hard drive. Kjel unwrapped the gift and smiled. I should have pre-warned Greg about Kjel's excitement.  Kjel, kindly thanked Greg and smiled again. I knew how happy and excited Kjel was, he smiled twice!! Greg looked at Kjel and I and hesitantly asked if Kjel liked the gift. At that point I realized that I needed to step in and do some splaining.
SO, now that you've read this ridiculously long story, you might better understand that this big smile on Kjel's face means I did something right.

I smiled as we worked in the yard and did some planting. We're making progress on the yard. I love yard work and I love being outside so I smiled the day away.

I smiled when I found out my Grandpa is feeling better. He's had a rough few days. Glad you're doing better Grandpa Darrel.

Baby turned two! He is such a fun kiddo. I smiled as we celebrated his birthday.


He loved his birthday card from Grandma. He of course has no idea what money is but the card was covered in trucks. He threw the money aside and got right to pointing at the trucks. His card from great-grandpa had a picture of kitty. He immediately started meowing. So cute to have him interacting with us.

I found NIB running shoes on ebay. It's my favorite brand and my size. I smiled when I won the auction and then smiled super big when they arrived. I tried them out on Saturday and LOVED my run. It's good to have some cushioning in all the right places. Check out those beauties!

I still smile each Thursday when the garbage is picked up from our curb. It makes me so happy to see that I didn't mess up the process.

I love when little kids show confidence. It seems that the world sweeps all their confidence away all too quick and then succumb to feeling inadequate and incapable. I love when I tell a little girl, she's beautiful and she kindly (not snotty) says, "I know" or when I'm working with little ones and they tell me they're really good at, fill in the blank. I could only smile when I saw this confidence in my 9 year old.
"My best school subject is science because I'm smart."

I smiled this week as I made choices. I don't want to say much more because I'll ruin it for myself but I'm making choices and taking control. That's a smile!