Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Smiles 7-31

Skipped last week but not because I hadn't smiled.

I smiled at the ward picnic. Love playing games with the primary kids and watching my own kids working together and helping me out. At one point I looked across the field area and I could have sworn my Dad was there. I nearly ran to him to give him a big hug. I was so excited. Then, common sense broke in (i know most would think i'm without this but alas, occasionally it does appear) and I held myself back and tried to figure out why my Dad was at the picnic. I stared at him for at least 3 minutes, trying to figure it out. I then realized that it wasn't my Dad (shock) it was a man in our ward. He is about the same build as my Dad and with sun glasses on and clothes like pops it easy to see why I'd get a little confused. It was fun though for a moment to think I was looking at my Dad. Smiles for moments like this that keep me feeling my family near me even when they're so far away.

Smiled yesterday when I got on ebay and found football gear for my two boys. I'm a bit naive when it comes to the cost of living. I always expect things should be much less expensive than they really are. We bought cleats for the boys yesterday and did a walk around the store to price out the rest of the gear. I nearly lost it in the store. I was ready to go on a rampage about them stealing money. Helmet $80, Shoulder pads $50, Padded pants $30, etc... I knew that you could buy expensive gear. I'm sure there are helmets and equipment out there for significantly more than these prices but I was just looking for the standard starter set. You know the cheap stuff. I ran home to my computer to start looking and SMILED big when I realized I could get it off ebay and save myself at least $100 per kid!

I smiled when the AT&T guy showed up at my door and was selling me Internet. Normally, door to door sales makes the hairs on my back raise, however, this one is different. Time Warner is super expensive and until just recently we haven't had any other option for our Internet. AT&T is now in our neighborhood and we will be parting ways with Time Warner and their silly bill and slow service.  I also smiled when I signed us up for cable for 6 months. We're going to watch the Cougars from our house! And we get to sit in our living room to watch General Conference. I'm so spoiled.

I made circle bread. I smile every time I make circle bread. My Grandma used to make circle bread and we'd show up at her house and eat the fresh loaves straight from her oven. My kids know circle bread is a special treat about a special woman.

Matthias found the outside chalk and has done his own redecorating. Don't tell Kjel but the entire front door is beautiful. I smile every time I see it. I also smile every time I see Matthias covered in pen. He likes to color on himself and personally I think he looks cute so I don't stop him.

You'd think that when it's 103 degrees outside there's no way you can smile? Wrong. Picture this, sprinkler going, watering the lawn and road. Small bird, standing in the road enjoying the cold water as it hits his head. I couldn't help but smile.

I smiled when I read Nic's talk for primary. I sent him to prep and write it. He brought me back a well organized but short read. I asked him to elaborate on his feelings about the temple. He came back with this sentence, "I want to go to the temple because you can feel the Spirit at the temple, not like my house." Gotta love the truth. No spirit at our place. I wonder whose fault that is?

Hard work in our yard is totally a smile. We're making progress.
I have a really awesome blister on my left thumb that popped and is now scabbed over and looks nasty. I smile every time I see it because it reminds me I worked hard.
I smiled as I hugged my two big boys and sent them on their way to scout camp. I'm going to miss them but they are going to have a wonderful time. That's totally a smile.
I smiled as I sat at the doc's office with these two oldest boys. They needed a physical so they could go to scout camp. We cracked jokes and laughed and giggled and just had super fun. Love being with my big kids.

I smile just thinking about the fun week I'm going to have with my three youngest boys! We're swimming and going to a baseball game, and sleeping in my bed together and just having fun.

This week we were SPOILED! My cousins family showed up in Chicago and we got to spend an entire day with them.  I loved seeing my kids with their cousins. I loved spending time with my cousin. I love her so much. I smiled the entire day. I went home with my heart full and my cheeks aching. I love days like that.




At one point Stacie pulled her phone out and we both smiled when all you could see was a list of text messages and phone calls from me. I love that we texted and chatted and spent every second loving each other and feeling comfortable to be who we are.


I drove the boys to Chicago. I did it! BIG SMILE! I took on Chicago. I was scared to death but seriously, it's no big deal. I did Chicago with my boys. We'll be back, this summer! SO much to see and do and now I'm no longer a scaredy cat! That's a smile.