Tuesday, January 03, 2012

smells i love

The last couple days have been a little cooler than normal.

Some good friends of ours shared with us heaters to help with our cooler temps.

Our furnace needed a break, so we've given it a few days off. While its been enjoying the break, we've noticed the temps dropping and well we're wusses, so we sent a Facebook call out to anyone with a heater  we could borrow. We had friends offer their home to us but there's no way you can take 7 people into someones home without feeling a little intrusive. We declined. I think had the heaters not taken up residence, we would have taken over our friends home by early afternoon. 

Where am I getting with all this? I have had the most wonderful smell of propane wafting through my home. Some of you may scoff at my love for this smell but I understand you've never had the experiences that I've enjoyed. For those of you that understand let me take you on a journey.

As a small child each summer, as a family, we'd pack up our car and drive 4 hours from home to a small cabin on the side of a steep hill. The drive was long and for us children tedious. The arrival at the magical land was worth the cramped quarters in the car. We'd pull up to the family cabin at Fish Lake and as children we'd burst out of the car. Our energy would escape through every inch of our bodies. What to do first? Climb the large tree near the wood pile? Claim your bed? Beg Dad to build a fire? Walk to the water well? So many choices. So many adventures begging to be uncovered. My older brother always pointing out the stinging nettle and me always wondering if it would really cause my to itch. Playing hide-and-seek in the bushes and finding all the squirrels and chipmunks. Climbing big rocks and claiming our land. The memories run deeper than the lake down my the lodge.

It has been many years since I've been able to visit Fish Lake. Every so often little blessings come reminding me of different childhood goodness I have forever tucked into the folds of my life.

One of the heaters we're using is run on propane. It's a safe indoor heater, no stress. There is a slight smell of propane in certain areas of my home and I am filled with complete joy. And this is not because I'm not getting enough oxygen, don't worry.

While my hands are frigid my heart and soul are on fire. See, the family cabin at Fisk Lake uses propane. I'm a child again with freedom and adventure. I'm blessed.