Tuesday, February 21, 2012

life's a song

Does it happen at your house?
This morning I lived my own little Broadway musical. This isn't uncommon. Quite often, throughout the day, one of the young ones will break into song.

Let me set the scene.

Dimmed lights in the kitchen. Toast has been carefully placed in the toaster, push down the button and then...
"I won't touch the toaster.... because it's ho-ot, because it's ho-ot, because it's ho-ot, because it's ho-ot." --repeated MANY times
The writer, of the songs we sing, needs to be fired. Seriously, whoever made up these words is the same guy that wrote, The Map, for Dora the Explorer. Just a catchy phrase repeated until your mother's brains seep out her ears and fall to the floor.

I've been entertained by this same skill used on our piano. Pick three notes, maybe even 5 and play them repetitively. Make sure it is played loudly, for effect of course. Also, make sure to play it for a complete 6 minutes, anything less would not get the true meaning across.

I've heard songs about a football play, songs about poop, songs about homework, brushing teeth, getting clean underwear, eating toast. Really, they can make this work for anything. They can even do it with random words or sounds.

I'm thinking this must be some kind of skill. Can I sell them their talent and make a profit?

I must be going now I can tell there' s new show starting and this might include a fight! Way cool. Love that live action stuff.