I've figured out why I HATE attending school events with my kids. It's because I'm a leech.
Let me explain. When we first moved here I worked hard to help out at the school. I wasn't a super PTA lady but I did help in my kids' classrooms and donated items for the different events. After my first year with the school I threw that all away and stopped signing up to do anything. Literally, the only thing the school gets from me is my two kids for several hours Monday through Friday.
Years ago I would have frowned upon me. I would have felt like I wasn't measuring up and I might have even been right. I do have time I could donate or when they ask for paper plates or soda pop I could maybe step it up and add it to my grocery list. Alas, I don't.
My boys school is CONSTANTLY fundraising and CONSTANTLY holding events. Every time I turn around there is a committee that needs people to help with something. I'm overwhelmed by the number of parents that step it up and help. They are truly amazing. I'm thankful for their service. I'm just not ready to jump on that wagon again.
So for now, I will hate attending the events, even if they are SUPER amazing, like last nights. I will walk the halls only because my sons will beg and beg and I'll feel like a terrible and mean mom if I don't take them. I will hide my face hoping no one notices that I'm just a leeching, sucking away at their hard work while sitting back and doing nothing. Yup, I'm that cool.