Friday, April 13, 2012

note to self

I've got 5 boys at this place and 4 of them are in Scouts. Boys in scouts means lots of work for mom. It's not bad work and I'm grateful for the lessons my sons can learn as they work their way through ranks.

Anthony has been working on some boy scout stuff and needed a 5 mile hike. Spring break seemed like the perfect time to take care of this.

Yesterday was our chance. Best weather of the week. And it was gorgeous weather. I loaded up the kiddo's and we headed to a state park in our area. Isaak was disappointed from the beginning because he knew we wouldn't be hiking mountains. It would be more of a lovely stroll in the park. He was wanting mountains. We did hit a few small hills/bumps and that helped, but no mountains. One of Anthony's friends joined us and honestly he rescued our trip. Having a friend hike with you makes all the difference. My older boys held strong throughout but the younger group had a few moments of despair. It didn't help that I spent the first part of the hike on the phone with a loan agent and we ended up getting lost because I was just following them as they followed the map, which they obviously weren't doing.


Taking a pit stop. When you haven't hiked or even really walked in months doing 5 miles out of the gate is kind of a tough start. While some didn't need this break others had been begging from the start. I was afraid to sit down because I knew I might not get up. I have this hiking push in me. I like to walk until it's done. I don't understand taking breaks. A break only prolongs the finish line. I figure you just keep up the left, right, left, right and then you'll be done and can take a real break.

Matthias hiked some of the route. He started the hike on his own and then finished on his own because my body could not carry him another step. Note to self don't stick an over 30 pound child in a pack built for smaller on your back when carrying a small child in your belly.

Here he is in his pack. Lucky him actually took a nap for some of the trip. This meant dead weight on my back but I'm not complaining, seriously, no way am I complaining that he was napping while I did all the hard work.

Today, I'm sore. I'm so sore. I'm glad we made the trek. We had a lot of fun and now I can say that we did more than watch TV and play video games over Spring Break. I'd do it again, just not today and next time I'd leave Matthias with my friend. She was totally willing to take him (thanks Heather) I just thought it would be super fun to have him with me. It was and my legs are thanking me today.