Sunday, June 24, 2012

smiles

Lots to smile about this week. I don't expect anyone to read every word... seriously boring. I just needed to make sure I got it all down so I can adequately bore my posterity.

First and foremost I did some reading this week. I'm re-reading two of my favorite books, Stargirl and The Four Agreements. Stargirl is fiction. I don't usually read fiction. There's lots of reasons but so many are boring so I'll just hold on to them. I have read Stargirl many times and plan to read it many more. Each time I read this book I feel happy. I know it's not very intelligent to read just to feel happy but one day I want to grow up and be Stargirl because she makes me feel happy.  The Four Agreements is a book I read to remind myself of my job as a person. It's non-fiction, self help stuff. I love reading non-fiction. I'll read encyclopedias, dictionaries, the books my kids are reading to do research papers, college textbooks. I'm completely fascinated by non-fiction. Sadly, my memory is pitiful and even though I've put all this great knowledge in, there's nothing coming back out. I seriously can not spit anything back out. It's okay, I still love  reading non-fiction so even though it's wasted on me I'll keep with my favorite genre.

This week the Ensign showed up in our mailbox. I used to subscribe to it so I looked like a good Mormon. It's not that I hated the magazine, it's just I never read it. I would pull it out of my mailbox, feel guilty that I'd wasted the money, then set it on a counter top or table and it would collect dust and I'd see it and feel guilty that I wasn't reading it.Years ago I decided that since my scriptures were also very dusty I needed to start reading something scriptural. The church magazine seemed less daunting and more friendly. Since that time I've been a cover to cover reader. I'm deeply thankful for the messages that are within. This months has an article that should have started, Dear LeShel. I'm certain it was written just for me (and several other hundred people.) While our internal talk and feelings are different, our situation has commonalities and it was lifting to read her answers that so closely match mine. smiles for comfort.

Now on to the pictures and the fun smiles.

Tuesday night Kjel and I dropped some of the kids at the church for activities and left. We'd already ditched some of the kids and left them at home. It was nice to spend an hour just he and I. It was actually magic. I kind of like this guy. I smiled when he started talking geek. I love when he gets his geek on. I just smiled and listened.This is a pic of him explaining some technical garble to me.
He also played me some songs from off his Ipod. It's not that he was picking out love songs just songs. He listens to nearly every kind of music ever written. Seriously, he's got it all covered. On the way home I asked him to pick out a song for me. He went with "American Woman", by Jimi Hendrix. UM, he's so romantic? I smiled when I could see his goofy grin of happiness. He was so pleased with his selection. love this guy!

Nic greeted me one morning with this nice artwork. We might be getting a little bored at our house? Let's just say we're creative. I smiled and enjoyed his new look.

Wednesday night Clayton and Anthony and I went to the Kenosha Pops Concert, down by the lake. It was such a wonderful evening. They played beautiful music and all around me were happy reminders of joy. First one I spied was of an older woman. She was sitting by herself and completely content. Every time I looked at her I thought of the amazing lady that is the director of NPA. NPA is the charter school my kids attended before we moved to WI. I love Judy. This woman was much, much older than Judy but looked a lot like her and it brought me smiles.  

Another smile at the concert was when a woman grabbed a partner and started dancing. I couldn't help but immediately think of my grandmother. She would have grabbed one of her grandchildren and gone center stage and danced with joy. I so wanted her to be with me and take my hand and force me dance. I love Grandma. 

At the concert they played numerous older songs. I was in heaven. The music brought happiness to my soul as I thought of my Grandparents. They spent years singing these songs to their grandchildren. My favorite older song played was, When You're Smiling. Originally written my Larry Shay but sung by greats like Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong and Dean Martin. Love music from my grandparents generation.

I smiled when I saw an older gentleman pick a fallen jacket up from the ground and re-hang it on a woman's chair. She didn't even know it had fallen but he saw it hit the ground and even though his body is tired and worn he is a gentleman and he leaned over and quietly served. 

Here's a pic of Anthony at the concert. Clayton was wandering around talking to people. He's become a bit of a socialite. 

Saturday morning we finished the birthday sandbox. A few days late but Matthias was in heaven and it didn't matter that it wasn't his birthday. I watched the boys work together to complete the task and I just felt happy and smiled.
I also smiled as I watched the boys spend the entire day in the sandbox. There were times it was just the little guy but mostly he had brothers join him. It made for a magical Saturday.


One afternoon this week little guy and I took a nap together. When I woke and saw his small body so perfectly curled up on me I couldn't help but grin.

I smile every morning as I walk down the stairs. See those flowers outside my window? I love seeing the color and it brightens my day.
 Here's a picture from the outside. I just love watching growth. It's an amazing process and it brings me joy.

I watched this one chase the sprinkler around so he could get a drink. It was such joy. The sprinkler was slowly making its rounds and Matthias was right behind with his body bent and his mouth wide open. He was not giving up until he got an adequate drink. I'm glad he was persistent because it made the happy bubble up inside of me.

I came home from errands and to my surprise my two oldest boys had loaded the dishwasher. I didn't ask they just did. I felt spoiled and thankful.

Thursday night Nic and Isaak and I played SkipBo. I love games. I loved that we closed the door and just the three of us spent time together. We had a great time. I love time with my boys.

I smiled as I peeled peaches. I felt blessed to have such delicious fresh fruit in my home and while I peeled I thought back to the times of watching my mother bottle fruit. I wasn't bottling the fruit but the process started much the same and swept me away in my thoughts reminiscing.

I smiled when I sent the peals outside with Nic to share with our woodland creatures. I hope they enjoyed their treat.

Clayton and Anthony made homemade root-beer at their friends' house. They brought some home and it needed to spend a few more hours outside. Every time I saw this jug outside I couldn't help but laugh about the yeasty moonshine, made by my oldest, sitting on my porch.

Friday night I went to the temple. I had some great friends going through for the first time. I was honored to be with them. They are amazing people. The temple is beautiful. I'm thankful for peace. Smiles for places filled with peace.

While I was grocery shopping I over heard an older couple chatting with each other. He said something about an item being full of something. I'm not sure what he was talking about but instantly the wife replied with, "You're full of something." I just smiled and quietly laughed. I hope one day some young lady overhears Kjel and I bantering in the store and she smiles at the old couple that's been married forever.

Last night Kjel made me chicken on his BBQ. I LOVE that BBQ and that guy. Good stuff.