I have this saying... okay, honestly, I have a lot of silly sayings that run through my head. The one for this week is, 'What doesn't kill you, will make you wish you were dead.'
I know it's not the standby that everyone's used to but I believe mine is much more truthful. At least for me it speaks truth.
Sunday night/Monday before the crack of dawn I started having chills. The kind of chills that send your body into convulsions. It hurt to have my body shaking so forcefully. Kjel covered me in blankets, turned on the heat pad and wrapped his warm strong arms around me. For 45 minutes my body shook. My temperature was at 102.4 and I knew that something needed to addressed.
BACKSTORY(I've watched way too many episodes of Phineas and Ferb this week).... For about 2 weeks I've been dealing with what I thought was a very insignificant UTI. I decided to solve it on my own and actually believed the problem was nearly resolved. By increasing my water intake significantly and adding some delicious cranberry juice I had nipped the problem.
Monday morning I knew that I needed to contact my doc. I called in and they agreed, a common UTI. I went in to pee in a cup and then picked up a prescription. That evening I felt like things were getting better.
Tuesday morning I sent Kjel back to work. I figured I could handle sitting on the couch watching TV with Matthias and intermittently feeding and changing Anna. I knew if there was anything big that came up, like making lunch for Matthias, Anthony was available to help. Kjel went back and I knew I was on the mend.
By 11:00 I knew I was wrong and was NOT on the mend. I had spent the morning praying... asking Heavenly Father to help me feel better. I didn't know what to do to get better and even though in the early morning hours I thought I was feeling better I now realized that even with the three doses of meds, I indeed was not feeling better.
At this point I wasn't sure what direction to take but I did know I could no longer be the one caring for Anna so my first step was to find someone to watch Anna. I was thinking, If someone watches Anna for a little bit then Anthony can watch Matthias and I can just take a nap for awhile. I found a good friend who dropped her life and came and picked up the pieces in my life. While she was on her way I came to my senses and realized that I needed more than a nap. I contacted my doc again and it was decided I needed to go to the ER. I then found someone to take me to the ER.(she kindly stayed with me until Kjel arrived) Which led me to realizing that I needed someone to pick Clayton up from school. I started making phone calls again and found a third person willing to drop their life and take care of mine. (she not only picked up Clayton from school but brought us dinner that night)
Anthony packed the bag for Anna and I watched for my ride. These kind friends who stepped in, along with many others who I know would have willingly stepped in, rescued me.
At the ER they ran way too many tests and came to the conclusion I was sick. Ya think! One highlight of the ER visit has to have been when they hit me with morphine. Never had the stuff, it's magic. I just laid on the table/bed and didn't care about a thing. I think that was their whole plan. If they drug you with that stuff you just go with the flow and smile and say yes. I can now say I've had a CAT scan. How many people get to go on that ride? And, if you're wondering, everything they looked at was in excellent condition. In fact, all the tests they ran, blood: perfect... flu: not the problem... strep: nope... appendix: healthy and strong... urine: only slightly off! The ER doc spoke with my doc and they ended up giving me an antibiotic through my IV. I stared up at the ceiling and waited to go home. They released me and told me to schedule an appointment for Friday with my doc. I headed home thinking... ' what doesn't kill you, will make you wish you were dead.' I consider this improvement because I was actually thinking.
Wednesday, was a little better. Thursday, better than Wednesday. Friday almost normal again.
Friday morning I dropped by the doc's office. It seems I was experiencing a kidney infection. Yup, that's the name for what was ailing me. The solution, since I was obviously feeling better --continue with the oral meds, drink lots of water and rest.
It was an interesting week. Some of the pro's were I got a two nap minimum each day. Every day I took at least two naps. There were even times when Kjel would tell me to take a nap. How often do you get someone begging you to take a nap? Not since I was two did someone beg me to take a nap. Also, Kjel took care of all of his life duties and mine. Didn't clean a single dish or make a single meal for 5 days. That's a vacation. I spent a lot of time just listening to the kids talk to me. I didn't have the energy to do much but wanted to spend time with them so they'd come and chat with me. Isaak even spent time reading to me at night. I got to have Kjel home almost the entire week! I spent a lot of time talking to my Heavenly Father.
Countless prayers were given on my behalf and twice I was thankful for the power of the Priesthood.
An interesting week for sure.