Tuesday, December 17, 2013

dismissed

Yesterday, was my first experience with jury duty. I've been requested three times prior but each time I had just had a baby and they let me go with a simple phone call explaining that I was caring for a newborn. This time I had no excuse so I spent the morning experiencing the judicial system of America. I will say it's a LONG drawn out process but as soon as we actually got past sitting in the room waiting (3 hours) for the judge to be ready to start the selection process, it was unbelievably interesting. I started as Juror #7.

The kids and I have chatted about the process and all the questions asked and every little detail. It was fun to share the experience with them.I told them that when they asked me what my profession was that even after so many people had listed such impressive careers, I held my head high and said, "MOM!" I wish I would have added, to 6 awesome kids. However, my favorite piece to share with them was why I was dismissed.

The court case involved a fight at a bar. One of the questions an attorney asked the potential jurors was, "Is there anyone here who has never seen an intoxicated person?"

Juror #7 sheepishly raised her hand. Within the quiet courtroom there were multiple very audible gasps. Guess Juror #7 is a little strange?

See, I've spent time with people who drink, I've watched people drink. I've just never been around someone who has gotten to the point of intoxication. I figured watching Cops and Alaska State Troopers on television didn't count as actually seeing someone intoxicated.

Maybe this is bad? Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe I missed out on a piece of life? Not really sure, I just know that I can't say I've ever seen and knew that I was seeing an intoxicated person.

Interestingly enough, through all the questions asked of the potential jurors I'd have to say that spending time near or around bars is very risky. Not that people doing the bar thing are asking for it but it is certainly increasing their risk. Just like skydiving or bungee jumping or driving a car is risky, bars are definitely risky.

Now, back to my bubble.:)