Tuesday, January 21, 2014

don't forget

Miss Anna is growing quickly. As she's grown I've been learning a lot about how I want her to see herself. Not that I'm the only or the final say on how she sees who she is but I do recognize that these years she'll spend around me can have a lasting impact and I want her to know she's a capable, strong, intelligent human with the world available for her to conquer. 

Each of my kiddo's have come with their own personality and while I don't perfectly master allowing them to develop who they are without me controlling their every step, I do try very hard to positively mold them. The only real dreams I have for me kids is to know they are divine beings, they have a Heavenly Father who loves them. I want them to choose lives that are moral and ethical and help people. I also want them to know without a doubt that their mom is far from perfect but she loves them. 

So, one to what I watched Miss Anna do at lunch today. Anna is extremely determined, resolute, whatever good word you want to spin it with. She's wants to do things on her own. She is extremely specific about what's happening and making sure she's an active participant. At times we butt heads because I just want to get the job done and move on to the next task. I need to remember that she is growing and learning and she's totally capable of conquering the world. I just need to give her a chance to take those steps. Today, Miss Anna fed herself lunch. I don't mean she picked up pieces of sandwich. She's been doing that for months. She would not allow me to give her bites of yogurt. She's been trying to get me to listen to this want/need of hers for a few weeks. In fact, if I don't let her participate she then decides that she will not participate and food is out of the question. Some may say I need to break her persistent will. Nope, she needs this tenacity. So, today I set the bowl in front of her and watched her. At times she let me help because when you're 15 months old it's hard to get anything on the spoon and then aim for that little mouth hole. I'm so glad I listened and watched. Now, I just have to not forget.