Sunday, May 11, 2014

a talk

I was asked to speak today in Sacrament Meeting. Figured I'd post my talk here.

As I drove home last week I announced to the vehicle of kids that I was asked to speak in church. We were all a little surprised. From the back the question came, “What is the topic?” I then shared that while I was overwhelmed by the topic I also felt it was an extremely important topic. I announced I would be talking about Ways We Can Invite the Spirit into our Home.  Immediately, one of my angels quipped, “and they asked you to talk about it?” How do you reply to that? I said I was excited to spend the week preparing and that possibly I’d learn a thing or two. Another angel then said. “You’ll do great because you love to study and learn.“ It then got cancelled by angel three who said, “And you really love to talk.”

So with all the confidence of my dear children, who know me best, I stand before you and pray that I can present something that will at least leave us feeling uplifted.

When I first started thinking about the topic I started generating in my mind a list of things that we can do to bring the spirit into our homes. The list grew and grew and suddenly the task seemed impossible.  How could anyone possibly do and be all those things?  As I reviewed the list I was reminded of the Pharisees.

Here I had created the list of all lists but as I reviewed it I immediately knew I was missing the true purpose; just as the Pharisee’s of old.   I can’t speak to their intentions but I believe that they really did mean well when they started creating laws to add to the commandments.  But all these laws missed the mark just as my list had. 

The purpose of the list was to find ways to better incorporate Christ in day to day life so as to be more aware of His spirits presence in my family.  While each of these items could be helpful, I really wanted to come up with a few ideas that would work universally.

Whenever I decide to take on a new task I like to read and study about whatever has piqued my interest. Sometimes I study books or papers on the topic and sometimes I watch people who I believe have perfected or neared perfection in the area.

When thinking about ways to invite the spirit into our home I knew that this topic has a perfect example. Without a doubt the perfect example can be found in our Savior Jesus Christ. Knowing who to look to for guidance makes the task much easier. There are many ways we can grow closer to Christ but the two that have changed my life are learning of Christ and talking with God.

Learn of Christ:
The more we learn about Christ and his unwavering love the more we want to be better people.  People don’t make permanent inward changes through coercion or force.  We can see changes through outward habit changes or creating lists of things to do to be a better person but an easier way and a more permanent way to create change is when we recognize and feel love and safety from our Father in Heaven. This creates growth and makes lasting changes to our heart which then translates into physical outward changes.
There are a multitude of resources available to aid us in learning of Him. We have access to scriptures that tell us of His time while on earth and also teach us about other’s interactions with Christ. From these scriptures we learn Christ is:

Love:  John 13:1, Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Joy:  John 15:11, These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Kind: Ephesians 4:32, And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.

Gentle:  Isaiah 40:11, He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

Forgiving: Luke 23: 34, Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
And many many more!
Other places we can look to learn more of Christ includes prophets, uplifting music, testimonies, and interactions with people who are following Christ.

Talk with God:
I've found that the more I learn about Christ the better I understand our Heavenly Father which leads me to a better ability to confide in and talk with Heavenly Father. We do this through prayer. I believe prayer comes in many forms but the end result is communion with God.

Wherever we start our relationship is perfect. He knows where we are at will meet us right there. He doesn't wait for us to reach a certain level or capability. He takes us as we are. In 1 John 4:10, it reads, “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.”

We come in our weakness, in our inability, in our sin and in our failure. We learn to believe His love and ability to change us, as we rest in His grace. What we learn through this relationship is a perfect unconditional love. If we want this spirit in our homes we need to create an atmosphere that is like the one he gives to us; an atmosphere of perfect unconditional love.  Giving others unconditional love is not a simple task but it allows us to better feel that love that He gives to each of us.
The result is that we grow and our hearts are changed.

Change of Heart: Learning of Him and Talking with Him changes our hearts.
A change of heart comes from faith. Faith is superior to law keeping. It’s not that we set aside commandments or lists but we establish these by faith. True faith produces works that are required but it comes from inside and not just outwardly displays.
A brief search in the scriptures leads to multiple references of a change of heart and how this comes about. Here are just a few

Helaman 15: 7, And behold, ye do know of yourselves, for ye have witnessed it, that as many of them as are brought to the knowledge of the truth, and to know of the wicked and abominable traditions of their fathers, and are led to believe the holy scriptures, yea, the prophecies of the holy prophets, which are written, which leadeth them to faith on the Lord, and unto repentance, which faith and repentance bringeth a change of heart unto them—

Alma 5: 7, Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God. Behold, they were in the midst of darkness; nevertheless, their souls were illuminated by the light of the everlasting word;

Alma 5:  12 -14, And according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in his heart. Behold I say unto you that this is all true.
   And behold, he preached the word unto your fathers, and a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved.
  And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

How were their hearts changed?  By having an awakening to God through studying scriptures and becoming humble, through repentance and gaining trust in the true and living God.

Recognize we can only change ourselves: 
One final point, we can only change ourselves. I don’t know what Satan was up to in Heaven when he presented his plan that would bring everyone back to live with Heavenly Father again. “He proposed to save all the spirit children of God, assuring that result by removing their power to choose and thus eliminating the possibility of sin.” (Oaks, Dallin H. ""The Great Plan of Happiness"" - General-conference. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2014.)

Sometimes I’m just like Satan and take away others opportunities for agency. I become forceful and imposing. It’s not that the intention was wrong. I just want everything to work out happy and be boxed up with beautiful wrapping and a bow on top. 

Agency was a key piece of God’s plan. Agency is a beautiful part of God’s plan.  One we can and should give to all.

We can learn to give agency through recognizing that because of Christ following God’s plan we were given our agency. Not only were we given agency but they also give us their grace and unconditional love. It’s not just that they let us make choices and work through the consequences, positive or negative, that may come from our choices. They also love us and offer up grace.

More peace can be felt each day when we apply this Godly love and grace to others.


The closer we grow to Him the closer we want to be. This leads us to striving to be more like him. As we become more like Him, we bring His spirit into our homes. I testify that as we cultivate our relationships with God and Jesus Christ through learning of them and talking with them we will see changes in our heart. The changes in our heart increase our ability to feel the spirit. The spirit has always been there, will always be there for everyone. It’s not that his presence changes. It’s that our presence changes. Bringing the spirit into our homes starts with creating a place for the spirit in our hearts.