I'm spoiled! Seriously spoiled. On the 17th I got to spend the day smiling so big that when evening hit my cheeks hurt. Who could ask for more? Not me, but it gets better. I spent the day working with my kids and husband and some great people from the ward. We were able to do a fundraiser for this super awesome teenager named Liam. He has a genetic disease called A-T. Unfortunately, he spent a chunk of time this past winter in the hospital. I wish I could take all the yuck away. I wish there was a fix; easy or hard, but there isn't. So we needed to do something, anything to help and show love.
Here is the flyer we passed out. Because of this flyer and one of the awesome young women that passed it out a man stopped by. He told me his daughter had brought home the flyer and he wanted to do something to help. He handed me a one hundred dollar bill and I sobbed and hugged and thanked him.
I was so unbelievably stressed going into the event. I just kept hoping we'd end up with a couple hundred dollars to help with medical bills.
Kjel cooking hot dogs. I was worried about us doing them on the charcoal grill. I wasn't sure we would have enough space on the grill to cook them fast enough. Kjel came up with a plan. I had more than one person tell me they were buying only because it was cooked on charcoal! I'm so glad Kjel convinced me to go this route. We honestly bought the cheapest dogs you can buy but people were loving them and coming back for more. I'd say the cook rocked this!
It was super awesome to have Liam join us for a couple hours. He and Matthias chased each other. Matthias was in heaven. I just smiled and smiled.
I had several Young Women who came to help and they were just amazing. They stepped in where ever needed and just made the event run beautifully. One of the Young Women made the large banner and two poster boards. They looked fantastic. She is so unbelievably talented!
I also got to have my boys with me. Prior to the event Anthony put together a play list that we pumped through loud speakers. It was awesome to listen to uplifting music throughout the day. So many good songs that when I hear them now bring me instant smiles.
Many women from the ward made baked goods to sell. So many delicious treats it was hard for people to choose.
The final total raised was over $1000. I'd say that was more than what I thought we could ever pull off. I shouldn't have been so doubting. The world is filled with good people who want to help.
In the end everyone's hands doing something brought together a great event. I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a Saturday. It may seem cliche but I seriously did nothing in comparison to what I got. Absolutely nothing.
