Friday, July 01, 2016

running and life

I was running with Isaak this morning and found myself saying something realted to running that really just related to life.

We've been running for a couple weeks. Some of the days have been really hard. He's not a natural runner and is only doing this because he wants to be ready for football season which begins mid August. Honestly, I'm pretty sure he hates running. I can respect this and have a lot of respect for him because he's doing hard things so he's ready.

We've had a couple runs this week that were really hard. Really Hard. One morning I was certain the only thing fueling his steps was his anger with me for requiring that we stick to the schedule created.

This morning he wanted to again postpone the run until another day. I only mention this to make a point. I forced us out the door. Mind you, there have definitely been days I didn't want to run either. I just know that if I make up excuses I open that door and we can't open that door.

We stepped outside and began. But today brought us a beautiful and very simple run. It's not that the workout was designed differently but some days this happens, it just goes smooth and you feel great.

He was flying and I could see his demeanor filled with joy at the simplicity of the run. We both felt the ease with which our feet pounded the pavement.

I said, "You know it's the hard days that make bring about these easy ones. It's all the effort and hard work that we've done in teaching our body to continue that creates our bodies ability to have a good day."

record scratch

As soon as I finished the words my heart took them in and I realized how true this is for me as I kick depression and anxiety in the can. Those hard days that I conquer, the ones that feel insurmountable make it possible for me to have days that sail with joy. Hard days are okay. It's okay to have dark days that seem impossible. I need to allow (maybe welcome) the hard days and remember that those days are when I build my strength and bring about the easy joyful days.